ALS is a progressive muscle weakness.
The main reason is the death of nerve cells called motor neurons that control the muscles. ALS It can bind the disease at any age during adulthood but it is generally seen between 40-70 years of age.
Nerve cells called motor neurons are located in the anterior horn region of the spinal cord, called medulla spinalis, also called motor neuron disease or anterior horn disease. A progressive weakness occurs in the muscles due to the loss of motor neurons that move the muscles.
What are the symptoms of ALS?
ALS Disease usually manifests itself as progressive muscle weakness.
Progressive muscle weakness self
Difficulty in lifting heavy objects
He can make things happen in the form of not being able to lift
Difficulty in swallowing
Difficulty in breathing
Melting and thinning of musclesMuscle twitching is very common
however, it should be kept in mind that muscle twitching is frequently seen in normal individuals and does not necessarily indicate a serious disease.
Is it a Genetically Transmitted Disease?
There are some genetic types of ALS disease. Frequent ALS may occur in families with certain genetic mutations. However, genetic cases constitute a very small part of the total cases. In one of his relatives, there is no need for people with ALS to fear being seen in the disease themselves. Because only 10 percent of ALS cases are ALS for genetic reasons. The remaining 90 percent suffer from this disease, although there is no disease in the immediate vicinity.
How is it treated?
There is no treatment that provides complete cure and provides complete cure. However, there is a possibility that new treatments may be found because of intensive research on this disease. In ALS disease, riluzol is known to be effective on the progression of the disease. It has been shown in the studies that this drug slows down the muscle strength loss in the disease significantly. For the treatment of the disease, edaravone has been approved for use in the US last year.
Apart from these drugs, there are some treatments that can be recommended for respiratory distress in patients with ALS. It is recommended that precautions should be taken in the early period especially as breathing reduction may affect the quality of life of patients. In the later stages of the disease, special treatments may be required for conditions such as difficulty swallowing, muscle loss, and difficulty breathing.
What are your recommendations to patients?
It is recommended that the patient and his / her relatives who are diagnosed with ALS should confirm this diagnosis by taking opinions from more than one doctor. The reason for this is that many patients may be able to detect other diseases such as ALS and mimic ALS. Although there is no definitive treatment of ALS disease, there are many diseases that cause muscle weakness. Therefore, the diagnosis must first be confirmed. Patients with ALS disease and their relatives are more likely to experience emotional deterioration and difficult times in the disease process. In such cases, support from a mental health professional is recommended.